Thursday, March 15

What does it mean for a Christian to be a new person?

In verses 5-9 ,Paul mentioned the vices to be put off; in verses 12-17 he mentions good habits, which the new man is to cultivate:

Bowels of mercies : The heart of compassion.

Kindness : Our love for others must result in more than words.

Humbleness of mind : Concerned for others rather than with one's own interests.

Meekness : Willingness to suffer wrong.

Longsuffering : The willingness to endure quietly suffering or wrong.

Forbearing one another : Putting up with others.

Forgiving one another : To grant grace.

Love : Genuine godly love, a loving temper of mind, which seeks the other person's good.

Peace : Reconciliation to God (Rom 5:1 ). Peace denotes a calm mind and a yielded spirit not easily upset or disturbed by adversity.

Be ye thankful : Any person can be happy and thankful when all goes well and when everyone speaks well of him; but the Christian is to give thanks in ALL things (1 Thess 5:18 ). Matthew Henry once robbed of his purse, wrote these words in his diary: "Let me be thankful first, because I was never robbed before; second, because, although they took my purse, they did not take my life; third, because, although they took my all, it was not much; and fourth, because it was I who was robbed, not I who robbed."

THOUGHT: "When we are weak, then are we strong. When most empty of self, we are most full of God." --- Charles Hodge.

PRAYER: Lord, help me to manifest the fruit of the Spirit in my life.