Sunday, June 24

This Year's NDP Theme Song - There's No Place I'd Rather Be

I know how most of you feel about NDP songs.

Seriously, I’d say it without any prompting from anyone.

Sad that past few years, the songs not as listenable as 'Home'- erm, the 1998 version wan ah, NOT the 2004 remix k! (pianz! who's the el cheapo who thought of that! *faints*)

The original untouched 'Home' was a classic...it still remains to this day in the hearts of many Singaporeans as THE NDP SONG

It invokes feelings of ... Home. If u are overseas, It makes u want to go back to Singapore, it makes u tear and think of your family and friends back in Singapore when u are overseas. TRY that with 'Reach out for the skies' or 'Shine on Me'.

I’ve lost count of the number of times I dropped my jaw (usually I'm in Australia that time) when they first release the NDP song that year and I'll be exclaiming and with *fists waving angrily in the air* to anyone who happened to be there, “Wah lau eh?! Again? CMI lah! THAT song is this year's NDP theme song?! Oh puhleese leh!”

Looking at some of the songs that came out over the years, I was tempted to write in to suggest scraping the idea of having one new song a year and divert the funds elsewhere. We could perhaps have more fireworks, for instance.

While the NDP theme song this year might not overtake the success of 'Home' of 1998, I can safely say that most, if not all, people would be willing to play this song and maybe even hum the tune once in a while.

Because it’s Kit Chan. sans Dick Lee.

(The Kit Chan+Dick Lee combi is like the power combo found in street fighter. Almost guarantee K.O.)

However this year, the powers to be decided to use Jimmy Ye. (Not sure if u remember him but if memory serves me right, he is the lawyer-turned-singer-turned-songwriter.)

This year's song lacks the usual cheesy fast paced music found in many NDP songs (think Rui En and Taufik)

This, of course is a good thing esp with Kit Chan on vocals. 'There's No Place I'd Rather Be' suits her voice. Which brings to mind a musical; The song sounds like it belongs to a musical. Singapura The Musical perhaps?

And hor...abt the lyrics of the song, why NO mention of Singapore? again.

One last thing...the lyrics reminds me of a certain Aussie song...'I Still Call Australia Home'

Check out the similarities...

Edit: I've included the MTV clip of 'I Still Call Aust Home'

'I Still Call Australia Home':
"I've been to cities that never close down
From New York to Rio and old London town
But no matter how far
Or how wide I roam

I still call Australia home.

I'm always travelin'
And I love bein' free
So I keep leavin' the sun and the sea
But my heart lies waiting over the foam

I still call Australia home."


'There's No Place I'd Rather Be':

"I've walked the streets of Cairo and Bombay
I've seen the neon signs on ole Broadway
I've climbed the Effel Tower,
The Great Wall in one hour,
Experienced sweet and sour but that's okay.

Seen Hollywood, the sunsets in LA.
The London Bridge, Big Ben, the Thames, UK
I've crossed the River Kwai
Yet still I don't know why

I think of you each night and every day.

There's no place I'd rather be
You'll always be a part of me
And even though Ive roamed the world
It's still my home I long to see.

This is where my family
And my friends grew up with me
So I'll cross the skies and sail the seas
To be where I wanna be.

Cos there's no place I'd rather be!"

...There is no place else I rather be...

I'm pretty sure many of u overseas feel that...I did.


Technorati Tags: , , ,

Powered by ScribeFire.